|Theological Hmm: A six year old was puzzling over a daffodil bud as her mother watched. Suddenly she lifted her serious eyes and inquired, "Mommy, why is it that when I try to open the flower it just dies; but if I wait and let God do it, it's so beautiful?" The mother was still pondering when the child answered her own question: "I know! It's because God always works from the inside." - Richard Nies|
WE ARE PLANNING TO REMAIN OPEN MAY 8 AND FOLLOWING @ 9:30am but remain under the state of Ohio mask mandate. Which means everyone at church 10 years of age and older must wear a face covering of some kind (free and available at the doors) except officiants in a religious service, those with a medical condition or disability and those communicating with someone with a disability.
HOW TO LISTEN TO SABBATH SCHOOL AND CHURCH ON YOUR PHONE If you (or a senior you know) have limited or no internet access but want to listen to Sabbath School (9:30am) and church (11am) on your phone, you can call 1 (312) 626-6799 (*long distance charges may apply) and enter Meeting ID 974 0616 4323. When prompted, please also add the password: 4909.
HOW TO WATCH SABBATH SCHOOL AND CHURCH Search "Streaming Channels" in Roku enabled SmartTV's for "Toledo First SDA Church" OR tune in to the church Facebook page OR tune in to the church website.
IGLESIA ADVENTISTA DE TOLEDO CONTINUES @ 10:30am in church fellowship hall. Tenemos servicio en español en la sala del comedor todos los sábados de 10:30am - 12:45pm.
YOUTH DAY MAY 8 THEME "WHAT OUR MOMS TAUGHT US ABOUT GOD" will feature youth leading worship. We will be singing their songs and listening to their sermons and encouraging their growing faith in Jesus. Join us!
IF YOU ORDERED STRAWBERRIES FOR MOTHER'S DAY, you can pick up your orders in the church kitchen, in the refrigerators. Your order will have your name on it!
A MOTHER'S DAY POEM TO SHARE (courtesy Amy Young)
- To those who gave birth this year to their first child – we celebrate with you
- To those who lost a child this year – we mourn with you
- To those who are in the trenches with little ones every day and wear the badge of food stains – we appreciate you
- To those who experienced loss through miscarriage, failed adoptions, or running away—we mourn with you
- To those who walk the hard path of infertility, fraught with pokes, prods, tears, and disappointment – we walk with you. Forgive us when we say foolish things. We don’t mean to make this harder than it is
- To those who are foster moms, mentor moms, and spiritual moms – we need you
- To those who have warm and close relationships with your children – we celebrate with you
- To those who have disappointment, heart ache, and distance with your children – we sit with you
- To those who lost their mothers this year – we grieve with you
- To those who experienced abuse at the hands of your own mother – we acknowledge your experience
- To those who lived through driving tests, medical tests, and the overall testing of motherhood – we are better for having you in our midst
- To those who are single and long to be married and mothering your own children – we mourn that life has not turned out the way you longed for it to be
- To those who step-parent – we walk with you on these complex paths
- To those who envisioned lavishing love on grandchildren – yet that dream is not to be, we grieve with you
- To those who will have emptier nests in the upcoming year – we grieve and rejoice with you
- To those who placed children up for adoption — we commend you for your selflessness and remember how you hold that child in your heart
- And to those who are pregnant with new life, both expected and surprising –we anticipate with you
- This Mother’s Day, we walk with you.
- Mothering is not for the faint of heart and we have real warriors in our midst. We remember you.
THANK A TEACHER This week is teacher appreciation week. One thing the global pandemic has taught us is that teachers are some of the most innovative, optimistic, and determined people known. So after you thank your mother, thank a teacher! (Ask anyone and they will tell you, we have four great ones at Toledo Junior Academy)
SCHEDULE CHANGE NEXT TWO WEEKS Elders Gary and Katie Swackhamer's Six Week Group will be moving to THUR evenings the next two weeks MAY 13 AND MAY 20. This group will be sharing pre purchased take-out food together (see the Swackhamers for more info) @ 6pm each week followed by prayer and discussion @ 6:30pm of Frank Hasel's new book Living for God. Registration and sign up sheets through the church office are required for in-person participation. Seating is limited to 15 people.
JOIN US FOR A BABY DEDICATION, BAPTISM AND PROFESSION OF FAITH MAY 15 Next Sabbath, May 15, as we welcome Josiah, Sara and Joseph to TF!
SPECIAL SABBATH CONCERT MAY 15 BY TED ORLET AND FRIENDS @ 5pm. Ted is a music teacher at Eastwood Junior Academy in Westerville, OH. He and his friends blessed us with a beautiful concert last December. You will not want to miss their next one PTL!
CHURCH BUSINESS MEETING MAY 18 Plan now to attend the socially distanced church business meeting on May 18 @ 7pm. Important topics will be discussed including:
- Pakistan proposal for school
- 2021 Church Leaders
- Wedding donation / fee
- Tuition assistance SDA and Non
- Memorial Trees
- Cherry Street Mission
- Committee to study the construction of gymnasium
BRIDAL SHOWER MAY 19 Ladies come help us celebrate Kelly Gustrowsky at a bridal shower on May 19 at the church from 6 pm until 8 pm. Indoor seating in the fellowship hall will be limited to 35 people. Masks are available to be worn at all times except when actively eating or drinking. Social distancing will be followed and hand-sanitizer will be available. A signup sheet is on the bulletin board or you may call or text Jackie to add you to the list. (419-386-8942)
MINISTRY MAGAZINE PODCAST Did you know you can listen to articles from Ministry Magazine in Spotify? I heard a good one the other day from Pavel Goia entitled "Receiving Hate – Giving Love." Check it out.
SACK LUNCH SABBATHS MAY 8 / JUN 5 This week is an opportunity for individuals to bring their own food to eat lunch together in the fellowship hall after Spanish church concludes or outside on our picnic tables (weather permitting). Indoor seating in the fellowship hall will be limited to 35 people. There is a sign up sheet for the dates above and you can sign up on the bulletin board or contact the office to add your name. Masks will be worn at all times except when you are actively eating or drinking at your table. Social distancing will be followed and hand-sanitizer will be available. The church kitchen and microwaves will will not be available for cooking or reheating. Iglesia Adventista de Toledo will be using fellowship hall for their own sack lunch Sabbaths on alternate weeks. So let’s prepare to enjoy each other’s company again soon!
THE FIRST FRIENDSHIP DINNER IN OVER A YEAR MAY 22 Heather Smith-LaPoint’s team will be hosting. There is a sign-up sheet on the bulletin board and it will be available to 35 people. Masks are available to be worn at all times except when actively eating or drinking. Social distancing will be followed and hand-sanitizer will be available.
MIKE'S FORTUNE COOKIES I’m creating sixty second devotionals. You can watch the latest one "Just Keep Going" here if you wish. Here's the others:
DAD JOKE OF THE WEEK A courtroom artist was arrested today for an unknown reason, details remain sketchy.
PLANTSTRONG Have you tried MorningStar Farms Veggitizers Veggie Pepperoni Vegan Pizza Bites? Plant based "eggs" called Just Egg? Or Simple Truth Organic Gluten Free Non-Dairy Sour Cream?
WELCOME SABBATH SINGALONG Jackie and I welcome Sabbath with Sandra Entermann and friends from Australia. She started streaming her Friday evening family vespers. And she's still going strong attracting viewers from around the world. You can find her on Facebook and YouTube. Happy Sabbath!
WHY MASKS MATTER INDOORS The latest research from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) reveals that if an infected person walks into a classroom hosting 25 people, none wearing masks and all speaking, everyone would be at risk from the coronavirus within 36 minutes. If they were all singing without a mask, they would be at risk from the virus within three minutes. By contrast, if all 25 people in that room were wearing a mask, the air would be safe to breathe for 20 hours. Data like this is why the Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines were reduced this week for mask wearing outdoors but not indoors for church worship services. Click here to read the latest CDC guidelines or info from MIT on masks.
BIG THANK YOU AND WAY TO GO to those able and willing to esteem others (like the elderly) higher than themselves (Philippians 2:1-3) by continuing to correctly wear a mask indoors. Your church family and worship leaders providing online and in-person worship at Toledo First during a global pandemic thank you.
FOOD PANTRY is again accepting donations. Recently, we fed 27 people PTL. They do NOT need any pasta or green beans, but all other donations would be very helpful and appreciated!
OFFICE HOURS Pastor Mike is available evenings by appointment TUE - SAT. And also welcomes walk-in visits TUE and WED during business hours in church office.
MISS A MESSAGE? Did you know you can read the sermon notes via Google Docs by clicking this link for Pastor Mike's Sermons?
FRIENDSHIP DINNER JUN 19 Friendship Dinners are meals prepared by a team of volunteers and served to you. They are not a potluck where individuals bring food from home to share and help themselves. How will they work? Well, for starters, they will be limited to 35 people in the fellowship hall to safely accommodate social distancing. There will be a sign up sheet provided for each meal and you can sign up on the bulletin board or contact the office to add your name. Masks will be worn at all times except when you are actively eating or drinking at your table. Social distancing will be followed and hand-sanitizer will be available. Some other changes you will notice is that the "silverware" will be pre-packaged and include a napkin and salt and pepper packets. Friendship Dinner dates for the second quarter of 2021 are: May 22, and June 19. Iglesia Adventista de Toledo will be using fellowship hall for their own friendship dinners on alternate weeks. So let’s prepare to enjoy each other’s company again soon!
EIGHT IS ENOUGH? Toledo Junior Academy's enrollment next year could use an influx of students especially kindergartners. Would you do your part by praying for eight new students? God knows the students who would benefit most from the caring Adventist Christian environment our excellent teachers provide. Ty!
2021-2022 BOARDING ACADEMY SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS The Ohio Conference has once again opened up the application process for academy age students to receive a $5,000 scholarship to attend any Adventist academy in the country. Deadlines are firm (June 15th) and scholarships are ‘first come, first serve,’ so get your application filled out and submitted as soon as possible. Applications are on the table in the foyer and you may submit them to the office via paper or email.
IS YOUR CHILD INTERESTED IN ATTENDING CAMP MOHAVEN this summer but you just don’t have the funds available? Special scholarships are available. See me or the office for more information asap! The 50/50 deal is available for Toledo First members.
MEMBER SURVEY Do you have a prayer request? Bible question? Would you like a visit? Phone call or video chat? Would you like to get involved in some ministry at Toledo First? Would you like to receive automated church updates via phone or text message? A member survey where you can submit this info is now avail on our website.
CHILDREN'S SABBATH SCHOOLS Cradle Roll (0-2) and Kindergarten (3-6) meets in the school (but will be canceled if Lucas County goes purple). Primary (7-9) meets in the fellowship hall, and teachers request that all children wear masks if able to. Juniors (10-12) will meet in their usual classroom at the same time in the daycare area and Youth (13+) will continue meeting in the Youth room. Singspiration for all ages remains in sanctuary and begins at 9:30am.
TEXT EM ALL The company that allows us to record and send periodic 30 to 60 second voice updates from church also provides texts now. Soon everyone who has previously received calls will also receive a message via text (unless you opt out or provided or landline number).
AMAZON SMILE Simply by starting your Amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com and selecting Toledo Junior Academy as your charity of choice, a percentage of your purchase will go to TJA.
RITE AID will give TJA a portion of every dollar you spend on prescriptions and purchases made at Rite Aid. Follow the link above to register with RXfundraising. You will need to provide your phone number to sign up for a Wellness+ Rewards Number (it’s free!) if you don’t have one already. Once you have filled in your information, you will be taken to a page with steps to follow if you 1. Already have a Wellness+ Rewards Number or 2. Need a Wellness+ Rewards number. If you need a Wellness+ Rewards number, please make sure you click “Sign In” (top right corner) when you are taken to the Rite Aid website. From the drop down, click “Sign Up Now.” Once signed up, you simply use your wellness+ rewards number any time you shop at Rite Aid stores or online. Thank you again for your continued support of TJA!
SECOND QUARTER, 2021, BIBLE STUDY GUIDES (QUARTERLIES) are now in the church foyer cabinets as well as the yellow ‘Signs’ box under the east church canopy entrance. The lessons are entitled The Promise: God’s Everlasting Covenant. It will look more closely at what God’s covenant is, what it offers, and how it is motivated by love. You can also download the Bible Study Guides here. Or search in your app store (search for the blue and white "Sabbath School" logo in the category Education) and study in your app as well.
FORECASTING HOPE MOVES TO YOUTUBE Previously published links for Forecasting Hope expired NOV 15, 2020. But the good news is the entire Forecasting Hope Series is now avail on DVD (see church office) and on YouTube (click previous link).
PREPARING FOR ADOLESCENCE We listened and discussed all the topics in this book / audiobook with both our son and daughter before they became teens. Topics include avoiding feelings of inferiority, handling peer pressure, drug abuse, puberty, sexual development, menstruation, masturbation, romantic love, overcoming discouragement, sound decision-making, and handling independence. Please do not be too shy to discuss these things. Highly recommend Preparing for Adolescence.
THE SPLINTERING OF THE EVANGELICAL SOUL This is an accurate but thought provoking read from Christianity Today re:division these days...Wish we could build: “Build bridges across our informational worlds, nurture a healthy media ecosystem, and restore a culture of leadership defined by humility over celebrity and integrity over influence.” But how?
SAVE THOUSANDS ON TUITION TO ADVENTIST COLLEGE Did you know students can clep out of many college courses saving thousands of tuition dollars and maximizing their time at Adventist college by studying Saylor Academy's free online courses at their own pace, paying to take a comprehensive exam, and transfering credits to participating universities? Go to Saylor for more info!
TRUTHLINK Our world is filled with dark rumors and misinformation about God that has many people either running from Him in horror or trying to serve Him like slaves. TruthLink is a unique Bible study experience that achieves a high level of doctrinal clarity while showing the centrality of God’s love to every biblical truth. All you have to do is log in and get started. With the completion of each lesson, you have access to the next topic. [truth]LINK is easy to take with you on your phone or tablet, as well, so you can pick up at any time, anywhere, right where you left off in the series. I highly recommend them for friends and family.
TEN COMMANDMENTS BEFORE SINAI? The ten commandments precede Sinai. We know this is true because references to the ten commandments exist in some form or fashion prior to Sinai. And God could not hold those breaking them accountable if there was no law (Romans 4:15).
- Genesis 35:1 (No other Gods?)
- Genesis 35:2 (No graven images?)
- Genesis 24:3 (No taking God's name in vain?)
- Genesis 2:3 / Exodus 16:28-29 (No seventh day Sabbath?)
- Genesis 27:41 (No honoring father and mother?)
- Genesis 4:7-9 (No murder?)
- Genesis 39:6-9 (No adultery?)
- Genesis 44:5 (No stealing?)
- Genesis 39:10-12,16-17 (No false witness?)
- Genesis 12:18 (No coveting?)
TEN COMMANDMENTS AFTER SINAI AND THE CROSS? The ten commandments remain. We know this is true because references to the ten commandments exist in some form or fashion after Sinai and the Cross. And God could not hold those breaking them accountable if there was no law (Romans 4:15).
- Colossians 3:4 ("Don't be greedy...worshiping the things of this world" - no other Gods?)
- Colossians 3:5 ("For a greedy person is an idolater" - no graven images?)
- Colossians 3:8 ("Now is the time to get rid of...dirty language" - no taking God's name in vain?)
- Matthew 24:20 / Hebrews 4:9 / Revelation 14:6-7 ("There is a seventh day Sabbath keeping that remains" - remember the seventh day Sabbath?)
- Ephesians 6:1-3 ("Children, obey your parents because you belong to the Lord" - honoring father and mother?)
- Colossians 3:8 / 1 John 3:5 ("But now is the time to get rid of anger" - no murder?)
- Colossians 3:5 ("Have nothing to do with sexual immorality" - no adultery?)
- Ephesians 2:8 ("Quit stealing" - no stealing?)
- Colossians 3:9 ("Don't lie" - no false witness?)
- Colossians 3:5 NKJV ("Put to death covetousness" - no coveting?)
WANNA N.E.W. S.T.A.R.T? Try focusing on better:
- Nutrition. Protein comes from plants too!
- Get more Exercise. Walk an intentional mile every day
- Drink more Water. I like the Kroger carbonated kind
- Take vitamin D3 supplements and try to get some daily Sunshine
- Temperance means abstaining from that which is harmful and moderation in that which is good
- Fresh Air especially at night if possible through open windows; implement and practice daily deep breathing exercises
- Rest. Not just on Sabbath but shutting off screens earlier to get 8 hours of sleep too
- Time with God. Not just on Sabbath but at the beginning and end of every day
CHILD PROTECTION SCREENING PROCESS Now would be a good time to get recertified. The new web-based platform features a training and screening system for both employees and volunteers across all conferences in the division. All volunteers and employees may register by going to Sterling Volunteers.
ELLEN WHITE WEBSITE The internet is a blessing and a curse. One blessing comes in the form of a new website sharing balanced Seventh-day Adventist explanations of Ellen White and the 25 million words, 100k pages, and 49 books she wrote with a third grade education during her lifetime. The curse comes from the myriad of sites sharing inaccurate or intentionally misleading conclusions regarding her ministry. Whether others find her writings helpful or not, shouldn't one make that decision on reputable sources? One of my favorite quotes from her pen is: "Truth can afford to be fair."
DO YOU KNOW HOW YOUR TITHE DOLLARS ARE DISTRIBUTED? By far the largest portion of tithes in the North American Division (NAD) stays locally. For example, this is how a $100 portion of tithes are distributed in the NAD (based on 2018 figures). $66 stays in the local conference (Ohio for us); $10 goes to Defined Benefit Retirement; $9 goes to the Union Conference (Columbia Union Conference for us); $9.15 goes to the NAD; $5.85 goes to the General Conference. This information is taken from the Follow the Funds article on page 11 of the May 2020 issue of Adventist Journey.
TOP THIRTEEN LIST OF JESUS BOOKS FOR NEW ADVENTISTS I'm giving each of my children a box of my fave books. We often give away Tyner's and Vendon's books as graduation gifts. Make sure you, your kids and grandkids have read these! Try adventistbookcenter.com before Amazon.
- As Light Lingers by Nina Atcheson
- Searching for the God of Grace by Stuart Tyner
- Salvation by Faith and Your Will by Morris Vendon
- Surprised by Love by Elizabeth Talbot
- I Used to Be Perfect by George Knight
- It’s All About Him by Lee Vendon
- Knowing God in the Real World by Jon Paulien
- Why Didn’t They Tell Me? by Morris Vendon
- Beyond Common Ground: Why Liberals and Conservatives Need Each Other by Alden Thompson
- The Eleventh Commandment by Dwight Nelson
- The Faith I Highly Recommend by John McLarty
- One Miracle After Miracle: The Pavel Goia Story by Greg Budd
- A Thousand Shall Fall by Susi Hasel Mundy
TOP THIRTEEN LIST OF ADVENTIST RESOURCE BOOKS I'm giving each of my children another box of my fave Adventist resource books to help them. Maybe they will help you too?
- 52 Sabbath Activities for Teen Groups by Don Pate
- Pause for Peace by Clifford Goldstein
- Light Bearers to the Remnant by R.W. Schwarz
- Questions on Doctrine edited by George Knight
- Joyful Noise by Ed Christian
- Daniel: Wisdom to the Wise by Zdravko Stefanovic
- Revelation of Jesus Christ by Ranko Stefanovic
- In Granite or Ingrained? by Skip MacCarty
- Graffiti in the Holy of Holies by Clifford Goldstein
- Ellen White Under Fire by Jud Lake
- God’s Character and the Last Generation edited by Jiri Moskala
- Homosexuality, Marriage, and the Church edited by Roy Gane
- The Heavenly Trio by Ty Gibson
THE ADVENTIST GIVING APP We want to continue to give Toledo First the opportunity to participate in the worship of giving. While you can always do so via the church website (tfsda.org), you could also download The Adventist Giving App available in both iOS Appstore and Android’s Google Play store. Just search using the keyword “AdventistGiving” to download the App to your phone or tablet and thank you for continuing to support your local church!
CHERRY STREET MEALS Volunteers are always needed to serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner especially on Sundays and Thanksgiving. You can call Community Relations Manager Susan Graalman at 419-214-3357 or 419-214-3419. You can also email her at email@example.com.
BEST ADVENTIST RECIPE SWAP If you're looking for a favorite vegetarian or vegan recipe from academy, church, or some Adventist friend made for you, it's probably here! Search Facebook for Best Adventist Recipe Swap. Enjoy!
JESUS MOVIES The Game Changers, My Octopus Teacher, I Still Believe, Ray of Hope, The Chosen (Season 1: Episodes 1-8); A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Harriet, Just Mercy, The Apostle, The Pilgrim's Progress, Luther, Billy Graham: An Extraordinary Journey, Faith, Hope & Love, Christmas Grace; The Nativity Story; The Star; The Conscientious Objector (2004); The Ultimate Gift; Shadowlands; The Shack; Cutback; Soul Surfer; Grace UnPlugged; End of the Spear; The Mission; Beautifully Broken; Running for Grace; Steve McQueen: American Icon; The Resurrection of Gavin Stone; Expelled - No Intelligence Allowed; Is Genesis History?; God's Not Dead; Fireproof; War Room; The Case for Christ; The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry; Amazing Grace; Once I Was a Beehive; I Can Only Imagine.
GEOSCIENCE RESEARCH INSTITUTE If you've never heard of the Geoscience Research Institute, here's their website https://www.grisda.org. Established in 1958, this organization is sponsored by the Seventh-day Adventist Church with a mission to discover and share an understanding of nature and its relationship with the Biblical revelation of the Creator God. It has all kinds of resources and articles related to intelligent design and evolution and dinosaurs and many other interesting subjects. I enjoy reading their quarterly email update. You can subscribe by clicking here and filling out the form asking to be included in their quarterly e-newsletter.
NEW SERMONS Please see church Facebook page or church website for sermon archives and more info.
- MAY 8 - What Our Moms Taught Us About God (Youth Day)
- MAY 15 - Jesus Is The Heart Of It All - The Answer Is Prayer (Pastor Mike preaching)
- MAY 22 - Jesus Is The Heart Of It All - Gotta Tell Somebody (Cavin preaching)
- MAY 29 - Jesus Is The Heart Of It All - Dealing With Failure (Pastor Steve preaching)